Thursday, July 22, 2010

Lost

I feel completely lost right now. I'm only at my job another eight weeks, I don't know where I'm moving to, I don't know what I am going to do when we move and my best friend isn't here. I feel really lost without John here.

I finished my class this past Monday and don't have school until the end of August. Hopefully I can keep up with this blog more and get other things done that need to get done.

We have been talking at least 30 minutes every night. Sometimes I think it was easier to write letters because you couldn't get mad or frustrated at one another. You could just write how your day went and tell them how much you love them. Now I am backing to trying to consult him about certain things and the evenings seem like they go on forever waiting for the phone call.

Several girls went down last weekend and some are going this weekend and it makes me miss him even more. It makes me wish I lived even a few hours closer because it would be easier to go and visit. At the same time I know he needs to stay focused. Right now he is ranked 40 something out of 140 or so candidates. I am really proud of him for doing so well. Everything counts in OCS, EVERYTHING!

Branching is in three weeks. I am looking forward to seeing John, but know finding what his job is will only be a temporary thing. He is still hoping to branch Medical Services, which we won't find out that day. He did get his application in and everything is set for it, but now we just have to wait and see. If he doesn't get that it looks like he wants to go Artiliary with a Chemical detail.

Does it get easier at they get promoted or is there always something you can't get out of the Army?

2 comments:

K said...

Welcome to military life. I don't know much about the army, but my husband is in the marines and I can identify with how your feeling. My husband and I were recently married and I planned on moving to where he is stationed but we have since found out that he might not be able to reenlist so we are stuck in a holding pattern, and we might not get our answer until well into next year. We cant make plans for me to move there, or to establish a place here until the military gives us an answer.

Anyways that was long winded, but in response to your question, I think some things do get easier as rank is gained, but many things don't change and one of those is often the uncertainty. Its hurry up and wait in the military. Always waiting for something, be it orders, deployment dates, homecoming dates ect. It feels like the information is always slow/last minute and changes 15 times.

Army Wife said...

I'm really sorry to say this, but nothing gets better with promotions.

At least not in my experience.

And the Army's unofficial motto is "hurry up and wait". So it generally tests your patience every day.

My experiences: Hubby submitted his paperwork 6 months in advance for his captain's course. He called his career advisor at least once a week for 4 months to find out when he'd start. We found out in late November that we were going to be in the January class (that started Jan 3) and we had to move from GA to Missouri between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Merry Christmas!

Then for this past deployment, we found out in late February that he would be deployed "sometime in April". He left mid April.

According to the rules, you are supposed to have 90 days notice before all major moves and deployments. We've never actually gotten 90 days notice. Not once.

When hubby and I were dating/engaged/just married and dealing with the army, I used to get insanely frustrated. I felt like he just wasn't working the right angles to get the information we needed. It used to really really bug me.

But now, I've relaxed to the point where I take things as they come. You can control almost nothing about the military life. I got tired of being anxious and worried all the time, so I just stopped. If I can't control it, I'm not going to freak out about it.

This isn't to say that I'm a saint and never worry, I do. But I try to push it away and appreciate my life for what it is.