Friday, April 9, 2010

What we take for granted

This week I have had something heavy on my heart. Like I mentioned, a co-worker of my mom's lost her husband in the coal mining blast in West Virginia. Jason was 25 and Amanda 28. They had been together for 10 years, 10 YEARS, and married less than two. My heart breaks for her. It makes me realize the things we take for granted in life.

In 10 days I won't be able to sleep next to my husband, call him when I have a bad day at work, or go to the movies with him. But I know that I will see him in July for his graduation and that after all this is over we will be together again.  Deployments may be another story. 

A co-worker of mine has had a long pregnancy. She found out around Thanksgiving that her little boy had a heart condition. Kathy has worked and fought and spread the word about the condition. She even got Governor Manchin to recognize it. Jacob is almost two weeks now and he is such the little fighter. His first surgery went well and he is making excellent progress. 

I hope you take the time to think about what you have. Cherish your baby's smile and forget the argument you had with your spouse. I hope for myself that I remember what I have and be thankful. It can be gone in an instant. 

No comments: