So the last few days have not been the best. John's grandmother is in the hospital and it doesn't look good. After speaking with my father-in-law last night we decided not to tell him anything yet. Is it the best decision? I don't know if there is one.
On the one hand this is his family, the only grandparent he has left. He has a right to know. But I don't want him to worry or be sad. I don't want him to leave the beginning of his career. Honestly, I don't know what he would do. I wonder if this would fuel him even more to want to get through basic or make him want to come home to be with his family. I really don't want training to be postponed and I feel that that is selfish of me.
If anyone can answer this please do. I know I am to contact the Red Cross if anything bad happens, but is that only for a death? If we decide to go ahead and tell him the situation I would rather do it on the phone and right now I don't know when I am getting calls and for how long. I had my first call in over a month this past Sunday, but only for 10 minutes. That conversation is NOT how I want to spend 10 minutes.
At this point there isn't anything we can do but sit and spend time and hope for the best. My heart is breaking for my in-laws and the rest of the family. We have been together for seven years and I thought for sure she might get to see us have children. They weren't that close, at least I don't think they are. We were over there every holiday and major event. He comes from a huge family.
I feel somewhat like an outsider. It's different when it isn't your family, even though they have been my other family for several years. They are keeping me up to date on everything when I call and they are not excluding me from anything, so I don't know why I feel that way. I feel helpless, but there isn't anything anyone can do.
It hurts me to know my husband is 10 hours away and has no clue what is going on at home. I feel like I am betraying him.